Thursday, May 7, 2009




I HAVE MY OWN LOOM THANK YOU LOOM GODS.

i purchased a 4 harness, 6 treadle nilus floor loom from mica for $150 this morning. im super super excited. i will be weaving this summer. im also moving june 1st but with no current ideas where to. so while looking for my new apartment, i will have my enormous floor loom in mind. its so big im so excited!

they had an 8 harness 16 treadle double back beam mccomber for sale for $200, but not only was it $50 more, but like every single thing was wrong with it. so i settled on this as my first loom. plus i will be in weaving again next year and can use the 8 harnesses there. 
4 harnesses are capable of like a lot of stuff so whatever.

IM SO CLOSE TO BEING DONE SCHOOL i just felt the need to update now. I have a paper due in an hour that i am only half way done, so i will leave you with shitty images of my material construction final, and then go to my last folk art class. 
this is a double cloth weaving made into a bookbag. the amazinnng thing about weaving is that this is not sewn together. i wove these peices of fabric on top of each other and they were connected on the sides the entire time. the opening was also not cut, but woven in like that. I THINK THATS SO COOL! its stuffed. 

2 comments:

Emma Quinn said...

I love your big crazy backpack. Also do not worry, Manya and I are going to see an apartment tomorrow at 5 and then one on Saturday since you cannot go.

Adam said...

That's brilliant! congratulations on your first loom, dain. also on moving, try not to be robbed so much next time!

I think it was UMBC's photo dept that was selling entire darkroom sets + extras for dirt cheap and i was like "i wish i did you and had money!!"